- Cut 24 (3” x 3”) square pieces of plastic wrap. Line 24 spaces of a mini muffin tin. Set aside.
- In a small bowl combine hot water and gelatin. Whisk until dissolved. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth, scraping down in between mixing (approx. 5 - 7 minutes).
- Add granulated sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest and sour cream. Mix until smooth.
- While continuing to mix, slowly add prepared gelatin in a slow, steady stream. Mix just until combined.
- Fold in whipped cream. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan combine egg yolks, sugar, water, lemon juice and lemon zest. Bring to a boil over medium heat while stirring constantly. Cook until eggs thicken and sugar has dissolved (approx. 5 minutes).
- Remove from heat and stir in butter. Stir mixture until butter is completely melted. Let cool slightly.
Assembly of Lemon Cheesecakes
- Place a Kinnikinnick Vanilla Wafer (flat side down) in the base of the prepared 24 mini muffin spaces.
- Divide cheesecake batter evenly between the 24 spaces. Take a knife or an offset spatula and spread top layer so it is even.
- Pipe or spoon approx. 1 teaspoon of Lemon Topping on each Mini Lemon Cheesecake (Tip: If Lemon Topping thickens too much while cooling, add a couple of teaspoons of water and mix until smooth).
- Take a knife or an offset spatula and spread Lemon Topping so it is even.
- Place in the refrigerator for a minimum of 4 hours.
- In a small bowl, whip egg whites to medium peak.
- Add cream of tartar and icing sugar. Whip until stiff peak.
- Place Meringue in a piping bag with a star tip. Set aside.
Finishing Lemon Cheesecakes
- Remove Lemon Cheesecakes from refrigerator and carefully lift out of muffin tin.
- Remove plastic wrap and place on a serving tray.
- Top each Mini Lemon Cheesecake with a piped Meringue rosette.
- Using a butane torch, cook Meringue until its light brown in colour (use a small flame).
Yields 24 portions
Tips & Variations
- This recipe requires a butane torch.
- Wait to make Meringue until cheesecake has set.