- In a 6 quart stock pot, sauté 2 tablespoons butter, mushrooms, salt, pepper, lemon juice and onion until tender (approx. 7 - 10 minutes).
- Add 3 cups chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- Add fresh herbs and boil for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Make a roux: Melt reserved 2 tablespoons butter in a medium pot. Add Kinnikinnick All Purpose Flour Blend while whisking over medium-low heat. Whisk for 2 - 3 minutes (roux should be smooth and a light cream colour).
- Slowly add cream to roux while continuing to whisk over low heat until smooth.
- Slowly pour cream mixture into Mushroom Medley Soup, stirring continuously. Stir until mixture is dispersed evenly through soup.
- Simmer Mushroom Medley Soup for 20 minutes, do not boil.
- Garnish with optional chives.
- Serve with Kinnikinnick Artisan Dinner Rolls.
Yields 6 servings
Tips & Variations
- For a dairy-free Mushroom Medley Soup, omit the roux and creams. Increase chicken stock to 4 cups instead of 3 cups. Use olive oil instead of butter.
- Cook soup until flavours are well mingled and mushrooms are tender.
- For our version we used 200 g Cremini mushrooms, 150 g Shimeji mushrooms, 100 g Oyster mushrooms and 454 g white button mushrooms.