- Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C). Lightly grease (2) 8x8 cake pans. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine Kinnikinnick All Purpose Flour Blend, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, cream butter and sugars until smooth. Add eggs one at a time, mixing after each. Add vanilla extract.
- Slowly add dry mixture to creamed mixture, alternating with milk. Mix after each addition.
- Pour batter into greased cake pans. Spread batter evenly.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 - 35 minutes (cakes will spring back to the touch when done).
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly before inverting pan to remove cake. Let cool completely.
Yields (2) 8” cakes
Apple Pie Filling
- In a medium bowl, toss diced apples in lemon juice. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine sugar and cinnamon. Coat diced apples with cinnamon sugar.
- Add water and apple mixture to a medium skillet. Cook over medium heat until apples are soft and water has evaporated stirring occasionally (approx. 7 - 10 minute).
- Let filling cool before using.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C).
- In a bowl combine Kinnikinnick Graham Crumbs and brown sugar.
- Using a pastry cutter or butter knife, cut in hard butter until mixture is crumbly.
- Place mixture on a baking tray, spread out.
- Bake in preheated oven for 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let mixture cool completely. Set aside.
Assembly for Parfaits
- Cut cakes into 2 layers each (total of 4 layers).
- Using one layer, cut into 1 inch cubes (remaining 3 layers of cake can be wrapped to use at a later date or decorate as a cake).
- Place a layer of cubed Spiced Cake into the bottom of parfait glasses.
- Add a layer of Apple Pie Filling (approx. 2 tablespoons).
- Sprinkle Graham Crumble (approx. 1 tablespoon) on top of Apple Pie Filling.
- Pipe a layer of whipped cream. Repeat with a second layer, finishing with whipped cream on the top.
- Decorate top with a sprinkle of Graham Crumble and a mint leaf.
Yields 8 parfaits
Assembly for Cake
- Cut cakes into 2 layers each (total of 4 layers). Note: If you used one layer of cake for parfaits, build a 3 layer cake instead.
- Place bottom layer of cake on cake board to decorate.
- Spread ⅓ of the Apple Pie Filling on cake layer evenly. Top with a slice of cake. Repeat, finishing with a slice of cake on top.
- Cover top and sides of cake with whipped cream.
- Sprinkle top and sides of decorated cake with Graham Crumble.
Yields (1) 8” Cake