- Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C). Lightly spray two 8 x 8 round cake pans.
- In a medium bowl whisk, eggs, oil and water until combined.
- Add Kinnikinnick Chocolate Cake Mix and mix until combined.
- Pour batter into prepared cake pans.
- Bake in preheated oven for 28 - 32 minutes or until cake springs back to the touch.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- In a medium saucepan combine thawed cherries and sugar.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat to low and continue to simmer until cherries have broken down (approx. 15 - 20 minutes).
- Add gelatin to cherry mixture and stir until dissolved.
- Remove from heat and cool at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Continue to cool mixture in the refrigerator for 1 hour (mixture will thicken slightly).
- In a medium bowl whip 1½ cups whipping cream until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth, scraping down sides of bowl in between mixing (approx. 3 - 5 minutes).
- Fold in 1½ cups whipped cream into mixture until just combined.
- Add prepared cherry mixture to cream cheese mixture and mix just until combined. Set aside.
- Whip reserved 1 cup whipping cream until stiff peaks. Set aside.
- Cut prepared cake into two 1½ inch layers. Cut each cake base to fit the dish you are using.
- Build layers starting with 1 layer cake (if using kirsch, brush with a thin layer).
- Top first cake layer with ½ of the cherry filling, 1 cup Kinnikinnick Chocolate Cookie Crumbs and ½ of the whipped cream.
- Repeat with the remaining cake layer (if using kirsch, brush with a thin layer).
- Top with the remainder of cherry filling, Kinnikinnick Chocolate Cookie Crumbs and whipping cream.
- Garnish with cherries and chocolate shavings.
- Let set in refrigerator for a minimum of 2 hours.
Yields 1 Trifle
Tips & Variations
- If using Kirsch, dilute 2 tablespoons in ⅓ cup water. Use to moisten cake layers.
- For a brighter top, divide cherry filling into 3 layers and finish with cherry layer on top.