- Use a stand mixer and paddle attachment for best results.
- In a small bowl combine yeast, ¼ cup water and reserved ½ tablespoon brown sugar. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- In mixing bowl, combine reserved 2 cups Kinnikinnick All Purpose Flour Blend, xanthan gum, salt, cinnamon and 2½ tablespoons brown sugar. Mix until combined.
- Add warm water, melted butter and yeast mixture. Mix for 1 minute.
- Increase speed to medium-high and mix for 2 - 3 minutes (mixture will come together and pull away from edge of bowl).
- Lightly flour counter top and scoop dough into a mound, onto the counter.
- Sprinkle with Kinnikinnick All Purpose Flour Blend and lightly knead until dough is workable and less sticky (approx. ⅓ cup flour required).
- Form dough into a ball and place in a lightly oiled bowl. Cover with plastic wrap.
- Place dough in a warm area to proof for 30 minutes.
- Once dough has proofed, recommend preparing the following.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (204°C).
- Place 8 cups water in a large pot and add baking soda. Bring to a boil.
- Prepare a small bowl of water and pastry brush. Set aside.
- Mix cinnamon and granulated sugar in a small bowl for coating Cinnamon Sugar Pretzel Bites. Set aside.
- Punch down to deflate proofed dough Roll out on slightly floured surface into a log. Cut into 6 portions. Cover portions (see tips) until ready to use.
- Work off first portion by rolling out into a rope (approx. 12 inches long). Do not use flour. Cut into 1 inch pieces.
- Place pieces on a parchment lined baking tray.
- Cover lightly with plastic wrap.
- Work off remaining dough.
- Place Cinnamon Sugar Pretzel Bites in boiling soda water a dozen at a time.
- Once pretzel bites float, boil for an additional 30 seconds.
- Remove from soda water using a slotted spoon.
- Place on parchment lined baking tray.
- Repeat with remaining pretzel bites.
- Brush boiled pretzel bites with water.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven.
- Brush with additional water.
- Toss warm pretzel bites in Cinnamon Sugar mixture.
- For best results allow Cinnamon Sugar Pretzel Bites to cool completely prior to eating.
- Enjoy with your favourite dips.
Tips & Variations
- To create a proofer- place a cooling rack on top of a 9 x 13 pan filled with boiling water. Place bowl with dough on top of rack. Cover with a kitchen towel.
- Pretzels require a boil and bake for the chewy outside texture and soft interior.
- Prior to baking, egg wash, melted butter or water can be used. Brush a thin layer of either on boiled Cinnamon Pretzel Bites prior to baking.
- For best texture, consume the same day or freeze leftovers. Warm leftovers in a toaster oven.
- To create Pretzels, refer to Salted Pretzels on how to form dough.
- To create Twists, refer to Cheddar Pretzels Twists on how to form dough.