Onion Medley Soup
- In a large stock pot, sauté butter, 3 tablespoons olive oil, minced garlic, 3 types of onions, salt and pepper for 10 minutes over medium heat.
- Add thyme, parsley and water. Cook over medium-low heat until onions reduce to half, are golden brown and tender (approx.30 minutes).
- Add chicken stock and bring to a boil. Boil for 10 minutes, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Slice Kinnikinnick Hamburger Buns into 3 slices each (6 round slices total).
- Place cut hamburger buns on baking tray and drizzle with reserved 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Bake in preheated oven for 7 - 10 minutes, turning once during baking. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (204°C).
- Divide soup into 6 oven proof soup bowls.
- Top with a slice of toasted hamburger bun and a slice of emmental cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 12 - 15 minutes until cheese is melted and is golden brown.
Yields 6 servings
Tips & Variations
- If soup is cold, warm soup prior to topping.
- Use beef stock for a richer broth. Use vegetable stock for a vegetarian creation with a lighter flavour.